|Date||VIII² (751 - 800)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written at Autun or in the neighbouring monastery of St George in Couches, at the order of Bishop Martin by the scribe Uulfinus, who tells us this in the page-long subscription at the end of the volume (fol. 139v, reproduced in full in Album paliographique). A Bishop Martin ruled at Autun between 765–815. A slightly later entry in uncial on the same page reads: 'HIC EST LEX . . . COLTICENSE (Couches) . . .', and below it a ninth-century entry in minuscule mentions 'Ioanno espo (for epso) secundum Adalfario abba' (a Bishop Ionas ruled the see of Autun 850–866). The manuscript came into the possession of President Bouhier, the Dijon collector, who in 1721 had it decorated with a miniature of Theodosius and another emperor. From the Bouhier collection the manuscript passed to Clairvaux, then to Troyes, and finally, about 1804, to the University of Montpellier.
|TM Number||TM 66966|
Script is pre-Caroline minuscule of a type in vogue in Burgundy: a resembles two contiguous c's; the shaft of h leans to the left; the top of ꞇ forms a loop to the left; the stems of l and b often bend near the foot. In uncial headings and in the subscription at the end the forms uncial A and N are noteworthy and seem Burgundian. An entry by the original scribe at the top of fol. 2v reads: 'ipso die III id april incipimus scribere'. Notae Tironianae here and there (e.g. fol. 6v).
☛Bischoff, Katalog 2 no. 2827a. ☛Index Tironianorum.
|Last modified||06 September 2018|