The Earlier Latin Manuscripts Project is a database of manuscripts written in Latin before the year 800 based on the work of E. A. Lowe and his assistants published in Codices Latini Antiquiores.
The work for this project was conducted at the National University of Ireland Galway and funding for its completion was contributed by both the Moore Institute and the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures.
- Project Directors: Mark Stansbury (Classics), David Kelly (Moore Institute)
- Research Assistants: Ben Byrne, Sarah Corrigan, Paula Harrison, Kelly Keady, Elena Nordio, Bobby O’Brien.
With thanks to the following contributors:
Luigi Boncompagni (CLA 5.573, 2.207)
Patrik Granholm (CLA 11.1596, 11.1642)
Hugh Houghton (North African MSS)
Cristian Ispir (CLA 8.1038)
Jacek Soszyński (CLA 8.1071)
Johannes Staub (CLA 8.1181)
How to cite this website
The information on this website is free to use subject to the licensing conditions above. Citing the website can follow any of several formats, but here is the information most commonly needed:
- Editors: Stansbury, M. and Kelly, D.
- Website title: Earlier Latin Manuscripts
- Date of publication: 2016–onwards
- Website URL: https://elmss.nuigalway.ie
Note, too, that each item in the database lists the last time it was modified.
Open Data & Data Access
Data from the database can be accessed in 3 ways, each subject to the license above:
- Via the web front-end, accessible using the menu above;
- By downloading a
.csvfile containing some or all of the data. This option is presented at the top of the catalogue page where you can filter and refine the data you would like to download;
- By accessing the data via a
JSONAPI (Application Programming Interface). Documentation on accessing data using this method is provided in the Technical Overview Section.