|Date||VIII–IX (780 - 820)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written presumably in Northern France in the centre which produced Arras 644 (CLA 6.713) containing the same collection of canons: the two manuscripts agree in size, colour of decoration and other palaeographical features including the peculiar form of z. The volume belonged to the Cathedral of Constance by the eleventh century, as is proved by the marginal entries of that time, among them being several in the hand of the well-known writer Bernold of Constance. Belonged to Jacob Johann Mirgel, suffragan bishop of Constance (†1629). Earlier the volume probably belonged to Joannes Fabri, vicar general of Constance and later bishop of Vienna (†1541), many of whose books were acquired by Bishop Mirgel.
|TM Number||TM 67018|
|Contents||Collectio Canonum Quesnelliana.|
Script is mainly an excellent Caroline minuscule: a is the rule, open a rare; noteworthy is the form of z with its stem barred horizontally and descending below the line; the ti ligature is used for hard and soft ti. An entry and correction by an Irish hand is seen on fol. 8v; another by a seemingly Anglo-Saxon hand occurs on fol. 37v with other slight corrections by this same hand on foll. 10v, 33, and 38. Various hands saec. IX are seen on foll. 1–5 and 229v ff. Marginal notes saec. XI–XII passim. The list of popes at the beginning of the manuscript cannot be used for dating.
☛Bischoff, Mittelalterliche Studien 3, p. 159. ☛Bischoff, Katalog no. 1116.
|Last modified||17 May 2019|