|Date||VIII ex (796 - 799)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written at Verona under Bishop Egino (796–799, died 802) for the cathedral library, according to the dedication entered in capitals on fol. 23v. Brought from Italy and given to the monastery of St Vincent at Metz probably by Bishop Deodericus (†984). Later in the Jesuit Collège de Clermont, where it bore the number 456. Entered the Meerman collection in 1764 and that of Sir Thomas Phillipps in 1824. Acquired by the Berlin Royal Library in 1887.
|TM Number||TM 67194|
Script is a firm, massive early Caroline minuscule by several hands; some are typically Veronese with the characteristic g and two forms of a and d; the script of foll. 29v–147 and 149–162v with frequent ri ligature seems identical with that seen in the binding of Stuttgart HB.VI.107 and possibly in the first part of Munich CLM 6402 (CLA 9.1359, 9.1281): y is dotted and v-shaped and stands on the line. Some corrections recall the hand of the Veronese archdeacon Pacificus (foll. 138v , 269v, etc.). Tenth-century additions fill foll. 18, 19v, 20, 24v, 25, originally left blank. Bishop Ratherius of Verona (†974) corrected the manuscript and wrote the draft or copy of a short treatise on fol. 23; his monogram is seen on fol. 79. The name 'Uuadulfus', scratched on fol. 137, is probably to be identified with an abbot of St Vincent's at Metz.
☛Gamber, CLLA 1655. ☛Bischoff, Katalog 1 no. 410.
|Last modified||21 July 2017|