|Date||VIII ex and VIII–IX (775 - 820)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in South Bavaria in the same school as CLM 4577 (CLA 9.1243); this school must be placed in Benediktbeuern on palaeographical grounds. A doubtful tradition connects the volume with Princess Kysila who is alleged to have donated it to the church of Kochel. Was certainly at Benediktbeuern by the middle of the eleventh century. The ex-libris 'Iste liber est monasterii nostri Benedictenpeiren' stands on foll. 1 and 164v.
|TM Number||TM 67383|
|Contents||Vitae et Passiones Sanctorum.|
Script is by several hands and shows different stages of development; the scribes of foll. 1–96 also worked on CLM 4577 (CLA 9.1243); the hand of foll. 23v and 68 ff. is noteworthy for the use it makes of two forms of d, n, r, and s, thus plainly suggesting Insular influence; some hands employ ligatures freely; the ti ligature is used for the hard and soft ti; the hands seen on foll. 96v and onward seem to be of a more advanced type: work on the volume may have been interrupted for some length of time. Corrections saec. IX and XV. The sequence of S Marinus in the lower margin of foll. 121v–122 is an eleventh-century addition.
☛Bischoff, Südostdeutschen Schreibschulen 1 p. 27–30; 2 p. 198. ☛Gamber, CLLA 1646. ☛Bischoff, Katalog 2 no. 2970. ☛Bergmann, Verzeichnis der Glossenhandschriften, 479.
|Last modified||03 May 2019|