|Date||VIII–IX (780 - 820)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in the Salzburg-Mondsee region, to judge from the decoration, which points according to W. Koehler to the scriptorium that produced the Montpellier Psalter (CLA 6.795) and the slightly later Codex Millenarius of Kremsmünster (saec. IX in). This origin is confirmed by the close textual affinity of our fragments with the Millenarius and the Cutbercht Gospels (Vienna Lat. 1224) probably written at Salzburg. The medieval home of this sumptuous volume is unknown. Dismembered apparently in the second quarter of the seventeenth century in some Nuremberg administrative office. Most of the fragments had been in the possession of the Barons Imhoff and the von Kress family in Nuremberg. The 18 leaves in New York were acquired by L. Tross in 1861, who sold them to Guillaume Libri, from whom they were bought by Sir Thomas Phillipps in 1862. The Germanisches Museum received 24 leaves from the Von Kress family in 1872, and 4 more from the Heerdegen family in 1874; 4 additional leaves were deposited as a loan by the Von Grundherr family of Nuremberg. One other leaf, bought by the Museum in 1923, has been misplaced since 1934.
|TM Number||TM 67489|
|Contents||Testamentum Novum, Evangelia (Vulgata, Lc, Io, fragm.).|
Script is a very regular, calligraphic uncial: LL rarely run together; suprascript V for U occurs near line-end; ligatures, confined to line-end, include NS, OS, UL, UR, US; capital E and V and the ligature UD are admitted at line-end. Rustic capitals are used for prefatory matter (German. Mus. fol. 23r–v).
☛Bischoff, Katalog 2 no. 3616. ☛McGurk, Latin gospel books from AD 400 to AD 800, no. 131.
|Last modified||03 May 2019|