|Date||VIII ex (776 - 800)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written doubtless in an Anglo-Saxon centre in Germany, most likely at Mainz, by Willibaldus diaconus. The subscription in Anglo-Saxon majuscule 'Uuillibaldus diaconus scripsit Amen' stands at the end of the work on fol. 65v. The manuscript was certainly at Mainz early in the ninth century, as is shown by the script of the additions. Later in the Würzburg Cathedral Library: the typical fifteenth-century shelf-mark 'CXXXIII' is seen on Oxford fol. 1, fly-leaf. The main manuscript was acquired by agents of Archbishop Laud, who presented the volume to the Bodleian in 1637.
|TM Number||TM 67539|
|Contents||Gregorius Magnus, Regula Pastoralis (imperf.); Breviarius de Hierosolyma.|
Script is a regular Anglo-Saxon minuscule of a distinct type characterized by long descenders and the form of Ᵹ with angular, protruding chest; Ᵹ in ligature with following n has no horizontal top-stroke; z plunges well below the line. Numerous corrections over erasure by an Anglo-Saxon hand saec. VIII–IX (e.g. on fol. 25). Various notanda by several hands in Caroline minuscule saec. IX, some of the distinctly Mainz type, fill fol. 1v, the lower half of fol. 65v after the colophon, and foll. 66–81v. Some German names were entered saec. IX: 'Bobbo ruodolf' (fol. 25v), 'Heribertus' (fol. 79v), 'Liutker' (fol. 80v). For another fragment in the binding of M. p. j. f. 7 see preceding item.
|Last modified||29 June 2017|