|Date||VIII–IX (780 - 820)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written presumably at St Amand, to judge from the script. The manuscript must have reached Rheims by the ninth century, to judge from the additions; the Rheims ex-libris, ‘LIBER SCI REMIGII’ (saec. X), is seen on foll. 8v–9 and another one, ‘Lib’ sci Remigii Rem vol LXIX’ (saec. XII–XIII), stands on foll. 3v and 56. The manuscript was in the possession of Isaac Vossius in the seventeenth century.
|TM Number||TM 67748|
Script is early Caroline minuscule of the St Amand-Salzburg type (see CLA 10.1463): a has two forms; pointed v-shaped u occurs in the ending -orv; numerous ligatures include nꞇ (even in mid-word) and ot (with the final stroke characteristically sweeping boldly below the line). Artificial half-uncial is seen on fol. 3v containing the dedicatory epistle as well as in some first lines—a feature of this school. Corrections in ninth-century minuscule. The list of popes on foll. 5v–7 is by the original scribe up to Stephen III (†757) and is continued by a typically Rheims hand saec. IX² up to Stephen V (†817), while another hand saec. IX–X added the names of the Rheims archbishops. An excerpt from Jerome was entered on fol. 1 by a tenth-century hand, and a sermon on foll. 1v–2v is in a typical Rheims minuscule saec. IX. A tenth century reader at many points in the text called attention especially to matters of liturgical interest. Ninth-century and later probationes pennae fill foll. 121v–122v.
☛Bischoff, Katalog 2 no. 2221.
|Last modified||07 September 2022|