|Date||VIII ex (776 - 800)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in the South English centre which also produced the Vespasian Psalter, probably at St Augustine's, Canterbury. Was at some time in the ninth century in the hands of pagan Norsemen, from whom it was ransomed by alderman Ælfred and his wife Werburg, who gave it to Christ Church, Canterbury, between 871–889. In the sixteenth and seventeenth century the manuscript was in Spain, where its first-known owner was Jeronimo Zurita (ca. 1580). Belonged successively to the charterhouse of Aula Dei near Saragossa, the Conde-Duque de Olivares, and his son, Gaspar de Haro, Marqués d’Eliche, from whose library it was acquired for the Royal Library in 1690 by Johan Gabriel Sparwenfeldt (cf. his note on fol. 3).
|TM Number||TM 67808|
|Contents||Testamentum Novum, Evangelia (Vetus Latina, Mt, Mc, Lc, Io).|
|Name||Codex Aureus Holmiensis. Stockholm Codex Aureus. Canterbury Codex Aureus.|
Script is expert imitation uncial: noteworthy is the predominant use of capital G, as in the Vespasian Psalter (CLA 2.193); occasional intrusion, especially near line-end, of capital V; nestling letters and some ligatures including MI in a form analogous to Insular minuscule occur. Corrections in uncial, here and there in Anglo-Saxon minuscule (foll. 111, 112). Anglo-Saxon vernacular entries on foll. 1 (saec. X?) and 11 (saec. IX).
☛Brown, In the Beginning No. 44. ☛McGurk, Gospel books no. 111.
|Last modified||19 April 2022|