|Date||VII ex–VIII in (690 - 716)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in the Northumbrian monastery of Jarrow or Wearmouth, in the centre which produced the Codex Amiatinus, during the abbacy of Ceolfrid (690–716). Bound up with the part in Insular writing (see preceding item) at least as early as the tenth century, since the hand which wrote, on fol. 106, the entry about Bishop Aldred (†968) of Chester-le-Street and the priest Boge also occurs on foll. 80 and 80*v. It came to Chester-le-Street in the tenth century, probably along with the relics of St Cuthbert.
|TM Number||TM 66254|
|Contents||Testamentum Novum, Evangelia (Lc 21–23).|
Script is a bold stately uncial with marked contrast between thick and thin strokes, and has distinct similarity to the type of uncial used for the main text of the Codex Amiatinus and the Gospel leaves attached to the Utrecht Psalter (on the different type of uncial used for the Capitula in these two MSS and for the pocket copy of the Gospel of St John now at Stonyhurst, see CLA 2.260): the bow of uncial A is a thin shallow loop; the tail of G is a small and fine curve to the left; Y has two forms, in one the arms branch in regular curves above the line; short horizontals and the ends of upper curves have a forked finial. A cross made of five points is found in the margin of fol. 103 to mark a lesson, as in London Royal 1.B.VII (CLA 2.213), Egerton 1046 (CLA 2.194a, 194b), and in the Burchard Gospels, Würzburg Mp. Theol. Fol. 68: crosses of four points also are found in the Würzburg MS and in the Stonyhurst St John (CLA 2.260); in the Würzburg MS the liturgical lection-marks answering the cross are in Northumbrian uncial.
☛Gneuss no. 220. ☛McGurk Gospel books no. 14.
|Last modified||31 July 2017|