|Date||VIII (701 - 800)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written doubtless in an Anglo-Saxon centre either in England. Mutilated presumably at an early date, to judge by the cover of the Lexicon Tironianum in which the two leaves serve as fly-leaves, which seems to date from the early middle ages. By the twelfth century the main MS seems to have been in the possession of St Nicholas, Furnes, Belgium: on fol. 115v is an entry referring to the 'dedicatio basilice S. Nicholai' in 1120. Belonged to Sir John Fortescue of Salden in the sixteenth century, and later to the Turvile-Petre family, from whom it was bought in 1907.
|TM Number||TM 66279|
|Contents||Sacramentarium Anglosaxonicum; Orationes Matutinae et Vespertinae; Excerpta Biblica: Testamentum Novum, Evangelia (Io 14.7–14, Lc 24.49–53, Mc 16.15–20).|
Script is an ornate type of uncial with a distinct Anglo-Saxon flavour: the three hands differ in size, skill, and style.
☛CLA first-edition provenance (England or North France) changed to follow second edition. ☛Gamber, CLLA 411.
|Last modified||31 July 2017|