Volume / Number: 2 / 215
|Script||Anglo-Saxon Majuscule and Anglo-Saxon Minuscule|
|Date||VIII² (751 - 800)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in England, probably in some Mercian centre, to judge by certain peculiarities of script and by the evidence of the glosses. Comes from the same library as Harley 7653 (CLA 2.204). Belonged in the seventeenth century to John Theyer (1597–1673), Cowper’s Hill, Gloucester.
|TM Number||TM 66313|
Script is of several types: foll. 1–12 are in a roundish Anglo-Saxon majuscule (recalling the Lindisfarne Gospels) with d and r mostly minuscule, N and S mostly majuscule; the rest of the MS is in a stately Anglo-Saxon minuscule with many majuscule elements: both forms of s are common, the minuscule form going well below the line; m often ends in an elongated curve or flourish; g in ligature with n or r resembles an elongated s; the et ligature with the shaft of t going straight below the line (a feature observable in Mercian charters) occurs on fol. 50v; the st ligature is used on foll. 50, 50v. Headings are in red minuscule. Numerous tenth-century glosses both in Latin and in Anglo-Saxon; the latter are regarded as Mercian. On fol. 52 benedictions and charms saec. XII. A rune-like sign, added in the margin, marks the beginnings of prayers; the same sign in the same ink is found in Harley 7653 (CLA 2.204).
☛Gamber, CLLA 170.
|Last modified||30 August 2022|