|Date||VIII–IX (ca. 792) (780 - 820)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in Ireland, probably at Tallaght. The list of bishops on fol. 33 ends with Máel-Rúain, usually identified with the founder of Tallaght, who died in 792 (his successor who died in 811 or 812 is not in the list). Probably soon afterwards the Missal was taken to the abbey of Lorrha in Ormond, Co. Tipperary, perhaps by way of Terryglass, where quite likely its cumdach was made. It was still in Ireland in 1735. In 1819 it was acquired by the Marquess (later Duke) of Buckingham; then by the Earl of Ashburnham, from whom it was purchased by the British Government in 1883 and deposited in the Academy.
|TM Number||TM 66354|
Script is an artificial, distinctly compressed Irish majuscule of the same type as that found in Karlsruhe Fragm. Aug. 20 (CLA 8.1118): d, n, ꞅ are invariably minuscule, R is almost regularly majuscule; ligatures, e.g. of eu and cer, occur. The book has been expanded and enriched by numerous additions in almost contemporary Irish minuscule, sometimes on the top of the original script, but chiefly by inserted leaves.
☛CLA first-edition date (VIII–IX post ca. 792) changed to follow second edition. ☛Gamber, CLLA 101. ☛Scribe Móel-Cáich. ☛John (1995) argues that the script is Irish Majuscule verging on Minuscule.
|Last modified||30 April 2019|