|Date||VI in (501 - 525)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written in North Italy, and probably in the area where the bulk of the MS has remained. The liturgical system of lections suggests the province of Aquileia. The MS was regarded as a relic at Aquileia, and famous visitors' names were entered in it. Its present binding uses an eleventh-century metal cover with figures of Christ in a mandorla and the four Beasts. In 1354 the last two quires of Mark were given as a relic of St Mark to the Emperor Charles IV for the Prague Cathedral. In 1420 the rest of Mark was given to Venice, where it has been completely ruined by damp. The Cividale portion has suffered much from damp; it is at present well cared for.
|TM Number||TM 66394|
|Contents||Testamentum Novum, Evangelia (Vulgata, Mc, Mt, Lc, Io).|
|Name||Codex Aquileiensis. Codex Foroiulensis.|
Script is a bold, regular, calligraphic uncial, but not of the very oldest type: the hasta of uncial E is almost central, the tail of G is longish; the uprights of uncial H and L have a hair-stroke; N is not broad; the bows of P and uncial Q are ample; T often rises high above the line. Marginalia of great liturgical interest are in cursive minuscule of a rather sprawling type, saec. VII–VIII; a more expert cursive is found on foll. 195v, 196v, 198v, 269, 270v, and an uncial entry on fol. 89. Most marginalia are autographs or records of famous visitors to Aquileia and Cividale, saec. IX–XIX.
☛Gamber, CLLA 246.
|Last modified||31 July 2017|