|Date||VIII–IX (701 - 900)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written presumably in the Rhenish area and possibly in the Palace School as suggested by the script and the name 'Hildebaldus' on the back fly-leaf. Belonged later to St Remi at Rheims: on fol. 51 'lib sci remigii. Rem. vot VIII.Z.VII' (saec. XII or XIII). Was No. 1916 in the collection of Colbert and then became No. 3984.3.3 in the Royal Library (fol. 1).
|TM Number||TM 66662|
Script is Caroline minuscule by several hands; that seen on foll. 17–24, 41–73, etc., bears some resemblance to the script of Godescalc (see CLA 5.681): uncial a predominates, but open a also is used; the shafts of b and l are club-shaped and break near the foot; N occurs in mid-word; descenders of f, g, p are long; y is dotted; the first scribe (foll. 1–16v, 151–152) forms down-strokes in the Insular manner. Marginalia taken over apparently from the exemplar are either in minuscule or in small uncial or mixed uncial. Amongst early probationes pennae on the original back fly-leaf is the entry in Notae Tironianae: 'Ego Hil-de-bal-dus haec . . .’; this may have been written by the Hildebald who before becoming archbishop of Cologne (785–819) was a member of the royal chancellory. Later notes and corrections also occur.
|Last modified||06 September 2018|