|Script||Uncial and Half-Uncial|
|Date||VII–VIII (680 - 720)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Written presumably at Luxeuil, to judge by the script and decoration. Was used by Florus Diaconus of Lyon (†859/860). The manuscript was much more complete in the tenth century, if Cambridge University Additional MS 3479 is a direct copy. The Geneva part is recorded at Lyon in 1530 by Claude Bellelièvre; by the middle of the sixteenth century it was probably in the possession of Jean Choisnin de Châtellerault, secretary to the future French King Henry III, as suggested by the entry ‘Choisnyn' on fol. 2; it belonged already in 1605 to Paul Petau (see fol. 1), whose arms it bears on the binding, and was acquired from his heirs in 1720 by Ami Lullin who presented it to the Geneva library in 1742. The Paris part in 1677 was in the possession of a member of the Fimarcon family in Gascony, where it had been brought from Narbonne by another member of the family, an archdeacon of the Church of St Just in Narbonne; it was acquired by St Germain des Prés around 1710 (where it bore the number ‘lat. 664.3') and by the Bibliothèque Nationale during the Revolution. The St Petersburg leaf came into the collection of Pierre Dubrowski in 1795.
|TM Number||TM 59329|
|Support||Parchment and Papyrus|
|Contents||Augustinus, Epistulae (279, 288, 21, 41, 38, 20, 358, 99, 359, 81, 194, 374, 352), Enarrationes in Psalmos, De Doctrina Christiana (1.9–15), Sermones (180).|
Script is a handsome, well-formed, broad uncial; for description of the characteristic letters see under Paris; half-uncial is found only in the Paris part. Crude pen-and-ink drawings and numerous probationes pennae stand on both sides of Geneva fol. 53, some of these entries being in Caroline minuscule and some (also on fol. 1) in Merovingian cursive: e.g. 'In dei nomen uualderichus rogitus subscripsi' (saec. VIII, fol. 53v). The beginning of a tachygraphic syllabary also found in Autun MS 107 (CLA 6.729) occurs twice on the same folio.
☛Tewes, Luxeuil No. 13, dates to VII ex. ☛Index Tironianorum.
|Last modified||24 March 2022|