|Script||Uncial and Half-Uncial|
|Date||VII–VIII (680 - 720)|
|Origin and Provenance||
Origin probably the Luxeuil region: the same type of uncial is found in titles of MSS Verona 40 (38) and Vatic. Regin. Lat. 317 (CLA 4.497 and 1.106). The manuscript was at Lyon in the ninth century, where it was used by Florus. The Geneva part belonged to Aug. Petau; the Paris part was in the possession of the Fimarcon family in 1681, and was supposed to have once belonged to the Cathedral of Narbonne. Was at St Germain des Prés by 1750, where it bore the number 'lat. 664.3'. Acquired by the Bibliothèque Nationale during the Revolution. The St Petersburg leaf came into the collection of Pierre Dubrowski in 1795.
|TM Number||TM 59329|
|Contents||Augustinus, Epistulae (279, 288, 21, 41, 38, 20, 358, 99, 359, 81, 194, 374, 352), Enarrationes in Psalmos, De Doctrina Christiana (1.9–15), Sermones (180).|
Script is a handsome well-formed uncial: the bow of uncial A is characteristic; the lower bow of B protrudes considerably; the tail of G sweeps to the left almost parallel to the base-line; the top of T has a loop to the left and the stem has a long serif to the right; the lower left branch of X ends in a thickening to the right; the top and bottom strokes of Z are curved. Half-uncial by the same hand appears without reason from line 6 of fol. 7v and runs to the last line of fol. 8: n has two forms, N and n; the shafts of b, d, h, and l and even short down-strokes have a wedge-like finial strongly reminiscent of Insular calligraphy. Marginalia in rapid Merovingian cursive occur on fol. 26v. Many annotations, question-marks, and other signs in the well-known hand of Florus Diaconus of Lyon (†ca. 860).
☛De re diplomatica, p. 355 and specimen; Nouveau Traité, I, pp. 486–7 and pl. III ☛Tewes, Luxeuil, No. 13, dates to VII ex. ☛Ganz, Luxeuil: 1 scribe; half-uncial on foll. 7v, 8r. ☛Mostert, Fleury, BF368, 1172. ☛Bischoff Katalog 1 no. 1345a. ☛Van Haelst 1227.
|Last modified||01 May 2019|