Skip to content

Volume / Number: 8 / 1061

CLA 1061
Shelfmarks
  • Berlin Germany Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, Preußischer Kulturbesitz Phillipps 1745
  • St Petersburg Russia Russian National Library Lat. F. v. II. 3
Script Uncial and Half-Uncial
Date VII (601 - 700)
Origin and Provenance

Written in a Burgundian centre under Insular influence, to judge from the script. Was at Lyon at latest by the ninth century, when it was used by Florus Diaconus (†859/860). Discovered by Jacques Sirmond in the Lyon cathedral library in 1629. Later in the Jesuit Collège de Clermont, after the dissolution of which in 1763 the manuscript was divided into two: the first part, now at St Petersburg, got to Saint-Germain-des-Prés, whence it was acquired by Pierre Dubrowsky during the French Revolution; the second half entered the Meerman collection in 1764 and that of Sir Thomas Phillipps in 1824. Acquired by the Berlin Royal Library in 1887.

CLA Vol. 8
TM Number TM 67199
Support Parchment
Contents Dionysius Exiguus, Canones; Notitia Galliarum; etc.
Script Commentary

Script of the main part of the Berlin manuscript (foll. 1–87v) is a heavy uncial with long ascenders and descenders and short uprights knob-like or wedge-shaped at the head-line: the bow of A is small and hangs above the line; M is compressed and leans to the left; the second stroke of N starts well below the head-line; the top of T has a short vertical at the left end; the first stroke of Z often rises boldly; LL run together or the second L nestles within the first; some half-uncial letters (a, b, d, l, r) occur, also capital E near line-ends; script of the rest is half-uncial by two scribes: uncial G is the rule, here and there; ascenders are long and club-shaped in one hand, often wedge-shaped in the other, a sign of Insular influence. Corrections, marginalia, and a few running titles in seventh-century Merovingian cursive with for per, or in eighth-century uncial or minuscule; the running titles on foll. 32, 34, 40, 44, 84v, 85 and a correction on fol. 43v are in late eighth-century Anglo-Saxon minuscule with long descenders and having a protruding chest. Numerous ninth-century corrections (e.g. fol. 64) in the hand of Florus Diaconus of Lyon, who also often added his characteristic K for caput to mark beginning of chapters. A marginal entry on fol. 43v in minuscule saec. IX shows distinct Anglo-Saxon influence. Some Notae Tironianae. For other details see under St Petersburg.

Notes

☛Index Tironianorum No. 47.

Collections
Last modified 09 August 2018